20 July 2011

▶ PRESS: TODD FULLER IN PEN & PAPER

Click the image above to download a PDF of the interview in 'Pen & Paper' magazine

Article excerpts:

What was your favourite thing to do when you were a kid?

Lets just say that sport and I did not find one another favourable. Instead, I remember spending a great deal of time doing similar things to what now constitutes my artist practice. I would construct worlds, characters and imaginative fantasies to keep myself amused (usually in the back of the family car at any number of my brothers sporting events). I would write and illustrate books as well as construct elaborate houses and cities for my toys. Most of all, there was always cartooning and drawing! You know that cool kid in the class who would dazzle everyone with a pencil? Well sadly I was not him, at least not to start with. But I was next to him, trying really really hard!


We LOVE your little men sculptures, are they the story tellers of your feelings and thoughts?

My little guys are many things, some are alter egos which I dare to let loose on the world, others are manifestations of memories or exaggerations of observations from life.They are all male and tend to be bald and round in all the right places.They are all absurd. After all, it is not everyday you encounter a fat man in a bunny suit or tutu sneaking around a park. On the other hand they are very average and are just express- ing the implications of experiences which are quite regular and everyday. I want people to experience a whole plethora of emotions as they spy on my tiny fellas, they are funny and they are cute, but they are also trapped in moments that are designed to trigger contemplation and speculation. Most of all, they are just huggable, loveable blokes.

Congratulations to your success on your upcoming first solo show at Brenda May Gallery! Could you tell us more about the show?

The show is titled 'tense' and is an ambitious exhibition which will span both spaces at Brenda May Gallery. I don't want to give away to many surprises but this show will see a section of the gallery completely transformed into a quirky cinematic experience. For a few years I have been developing my own style of animation, but never before have my films been screened in this way.This show will be the premiere for some new films, story lines and characters but it will also see some old favourites used in a new manner. Apart from the screening area, the remainder of the space will be presenting my sculptures and drawings. These drawings are created through this process of animation. while the sculptures are the leading men from my films in the third dimension. I have constructed this whole exhibition like a play or at the least, one of my films. It will be filled with moments of tension and melancholy and others of comic relief with protagonists and antagonists. It has been an exciting process pulling it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment