20 January 2012

▶ SENDEN BLACKWOOD, 'AIO'

Senden Blackwood, 'aio' 2012, carved limestone, Corten steel, 101 x 63 x 54cm

The piece feels like a return to "the object", despite it's size. While making it I really enjoyed it sitting in all the different positions and felt strongly that I didn't want to bolt it into one position. I want the purchaser to be able to change it if they wish, to keep it fresh.

Originally I had designed it to sit on one of the arcs. I liked the rounded "pebble" feeling to the convex side, contrasting with the cave/space of the interior. Obviously this presents quite a different feeling to the orientation it's in now. It was great to discover that it worked both ways.

The names I choose for sculptures are usually quite personal, this one possibly the most so. Ai is the Japanese word for love. To me, ‘aio’ definitely has a feeling of connection and of a loving relationship; two arcs opposite yet connected. The texture makes me think of warm summer holiday memories, of safety, privilege and maternal love. Like watching a sunny field of wheat through sleepy eyes on route to a summer holiday. My partner and I both have nicknames that end in o and we've had these names since we were kids. Like I said, personal.

Io is a moon orbiting jupiter. It is apparently the only planetary body in our solar system, other than earth, that has evidence of tectonic plate movement. This spoke to me in relation to the form of ‘aio’, especially when it is positioned concave side up. Sharp rising plates pushed high by huge forces.

- Senden Blackwood, 2012

'aio' is currently on view at the Gallery as part of  Sculpture 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment